It's possible, but requires a custom DirectoryFactory implementation. There isn't a built in factory to construct a RAMDirectory. You wire it into solrconfig.xml this way:

<directoryFactory name="DirectoryFactory" class="[fully.qualified.classname]">
    <!-- Parameters as required by the implementation -->
  </directoryFactory>