On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Fuad Efendi <f...@efendi.ca> wrote:
> I tried... I set APR to improve performance... server is slow while replica;
> but "top" shows only 1% of I/O wait... it is probably environment specific;

So you're saying that stock tomcat (non-native APR) was also 10 times slower?

> but the same happened in my home-based network, rsync was 10 times faster...
> I don't know details of HTTP-replica, it could be base64 or something like
> that; RAM-buffer, flush to disk, etc.

The HTTP replication is using binary.
If you look here, it was benchmarked to be nearly as fast as rsync:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication

It does do a fsync to make sure that the files are on disk after
downloading, but that shouldn't make too much difference.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com