Here is my query:
(virt* AND "machine fingerprinting") OR (virt* AND encryption) OR (virt* AND
anonymous) OR (virt* AND analytic*) AND owned:true

It can be broken down to:
(A) OR (B) OR (C) OR (D) AND E

A, B, C and D are themselves AND boolean clauses.

The E clause at the end is not behaving the way I would expect. No matter
how I order the A,B,C and D clauses, it always returns the equivalent of
((D) AND E).

When I add additional parentheses it behaves the way I expect. Like:
((A) OR (B) OR (C) OR (D)) AND E
or
(A) OR (B) OR (C) OR ((D) AND E)

Can anyone explain why it behaves the way it does without the parentheses?
Is there something I am missing in the way it processes boolean clauses?

Thanks,
Mark