In addition to destory the "holes" in the index, optimization is also used
to merge multiple small indexes into a bigger one.
Although I have not got specific performace data, I can imagine that this
will lead to performace benifits.
Supposing you have thousands of small indexes,  open-close these indexes
again and again should be time costing.

--
梅旺生