Thanks Michael,

I'm not sure I understand.  CheckIndex reported a negative number:
-16777214.

But in any case we can certainly try running CheckIndex from a patched
lucene   We could also run a patched lucene on our dev server.

Tom

Yes, the term count reported by CheckIndex is the total number of unique
terms.

It indeed looks like you are exceeding the unique term count limit --
16777214 * 128 (= the default term index interval) is 2147483392 which
is mighty close to max/min 32 bit int value.  This makes sense,
because CheckIndex steps through the terms in order, one by one.  So
the first term just over the limit triggered the exception.

Hmm -- can you try a patched Lucene in your area?  I have one small
change to try that may increase the limit to termIndexInterval
(default 128) * 2.1 billion.

Mike