Hi,

I think your needs would meet better with Distributed Search http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch Which allows sharding to live on different servers and will search across all of those shard when a query comes in. There are a few patch which will hopefully be available in the Solr 1.5 release that will improve this including distributed tf idf across shards

Regards,

David