With a mergeFactor set to anything > 1 you would never have only one segment
- unless you optimized. So Lucene will never naturally merge all the
segments into one. Unless, I suppose, the mergeFactor was set to 1, but I've
never tested that. It's hard to picture how that would work.

If I understand correctly, the same actions occur (deleted documents are
removed, etc.) because an optimize is only a multiway merge down to one
segment, whereas normal merging is triggered by the mergeFactor, but does
not have a "target" segment count to merge down to.

-Jay

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM, David Smiley @MITRE.org <dsmi...@mitre.org