The fieldNorm is computed like this: fieldNorm = lengthNorm * documentBoost
* documentFieldBoosts

and the lengthNorm is: lengthNorm  =  1/(numTermsInField)**.5
[note that the value is encoded as a single byte, so there is some precision
loss]

So the values are not pre-set for the lengthNorm, but for some counts the
fieldLength value winds up being the same because of the precision los. Here
is a list of lengthNorm values for 1 to 10 term fields:

# of terms    lengthNorm
   1          1.0
   2         .625
   3         .5
   4         .5
   5         .4375
   6         .375
   7         .375
   8         .3125
   9         .3125
  10         .3125

That's why, in your example, the lengthNorm for 3 and 4 is the same.

-Jay
http://www.lucidimagination.com