Sean,

The JTeam code looks like it is based on an older version of the Local
Lucene code. The Lucene code appears to do a bit of sanity checking
that is not currently done in the JTeam code.

The problem also seems to happen more often with positive lat/long
values (as noted by Mauricio). I ran the same test on two sets of
data, one searching progressively outward from a point in the US and
from one in Russia. The Russia test showed the inconsistent results
while the U.S. didn't.

Mike D.