This is a Lucene story, but may well apply... By the time I'd sent a request
for assistance
to the vendor of one of our search tools and received the reply "you didn't
give us the
right license number", I'd found Lucene, indexed part of my corpus and run
successful
searches against it. And had answers provided to me from the users list.

Paying for support provides, I believe, a false sense of security. Once you
sign up,
you're at the mercy of the vendor for many things, among them:

1> releases are far apart
2> if the company gets purchased, all sorts of interesting things happen.
    Witness Microsoft buying FAST recently, then announcing they were not
doing
    any more development on *nix platforms.
3> If the company does go out of business, you are stuck with binary code
you can't
     compile/run/fix understand.
4> You are at the mercy of the next release for "really gotta have it now"
changes. Unless
     you're willing to pay...er...a considerable sum to get a special fix,
which may not
     even be an option.

That said, not all open source products are great, I just happen to think
that SOLR/Lucene
is. Add to that that problems that are found are often fixed in a day or
two, a record that
no commercial package I've ever used has matched.

Here's one technique you can use to sell it to management. Get a pilot up
and running in, oh,
say three days (ok, take a week). Try the same thing with commercial package
X. Do not,
under any circumstances, be satisfied with the powerpoint presentation from
a commercial
vendor <G>. Require working code. Then evaluate <G>...

Best
Erick