Hi,

2º solution:

Not use multiValue fields, instead use two single fields, in your example
will be:

doc1:
dept: student1
city: city1
principalFlag:T
doc2:
dept: student2
city: city2
principalFlag:F

So, if you search without specify any city or dept, you should put
princiaplFlag:T for no get duplicate on your response. And if you specify a
city or a dept, there is no need to specify the principalFlag because you
will only get the result that match with your fields (you dont get
duplicates).

3º solution:

Do a postprocessing to eleminate the fields in your response that you dont
need, i mean, get only the city and the dept that should be in the query
response.

Hope this will help

Marco Martínez Bautista
http://www.paradigmatecnologico.com
Avenida de Europa, 26. Ática 5. 3ª Planta
28224 Pozuelo de Alarcón
Tel.: 91 352 59 42