I had the same problem as you last year, i.e. indexing stuff from different
sources with different characteristics. The way I approached it is by
setting up a multi-core environment, with each core representing one type of
data. Within each core, I had a "data type" sort of field that would define
what kind of data is stored (i.e. in your case, it would be "auto" or "real
estate" etc...).

The advantages of this setup is that it allows you to make changes to
individual cores without affecting anything else. Also, faceting based on
category is achieved by the data type field. You can do searching on
multiple cores like you would on a single core, meaning that all the search
parameters can be applied. Solr will automatically merge all the data into
one result set. Another advantage is if you index frequently, this way will
allow you to index at different times and reduce the overall load. Just a
thought an an approach...