As a data point, I routinely see clients index 5M items on normal hardware
in approx. 1 hour (give or take 30 minutes).

Also wanted to add that our main entity (item) consists of 5 sub-entities
(ie, joins). 2 of those 5 are fairly small so I am using
CachedSqlEntityProcessor for them but the other 3 (which includes
item_description) are normal.

All the entites minus the item_description connect to datasource1. They
currently point to one physical machine although we do have a pool of 3 DB's
that could be used if it helps. The other entity, item_description uses a
datasource2 which has a pool of 2 DB's that could potentially be used. Not
sure if that would help or not.

I might as well that the item description will have indexed, stored and term
vectors set to true.