: When I query for a word say Tiger woods, and sort results by score... i do
: notice that the results are mixed up i.e first 5 results match Tiger woods
: the next 2 match either tiger/tigers or wood/woods
: the next 2 after that i notice again match tiger woods.
:
: How do i make sure that when searching for words like above i get all the
: results matching whole search term first, followed by individual tokens like
: tiger, woods later.

for starters, you have to make sense of why exactly those docs are scoring
that way -- this is what the param debugQuery=true is for -- look at the
score explanations and see why those docs are scoring lower.

My guess is that it's because of fieldNorms (ie: longer documents score
lower with the same number of matches) but it could also be a term
frequency factor (some documents contain "tiger" so many times they score
high even w/o "woods") ... you have to understand why your docs score they
way they do before you can come up with a general plan for how to change
the scoring to better meet your goals.

-Hoss