I've done a lot of recency boosting to documents, and I'm wondering why you
would want to do that at index time. If you are continuously indexing new
documents, what was "recent" when it was indexed becomes, over time "less
recent". Are you unsatisfied with your current performance with the boost
function? Query-time recency boosting is a fairly common thing to do, and,
if done correctly, shouldn't be a performance concern.

-Jay
http://lucidimagination.com