Hi,
  It seems to me that because the stemming does not produce
grammatically correct stems in many of the cases,
search anomalies can occur like the one I am seeing where I have a
document with "president" in it and it is returned
when I search for "preside", a different word entirely.

Is this correct or acceptable behavior? Previous discussions here on
stemming, I was told its ok as long as all the words reduce
to the same stem, but when different words reduce to the same stem it
seems to affect search results in a "bad way".

Darren