This probably means you're opening new readers without closing
old ones. But that's just a guess. I'm guessing that this really
has nothing to do with the delete itself, but the delete is what's
finally pushing you over the limit.

I know this has been discussed before, try searching the mail
archive for TooManyOpenFiles and/or File Handles....

You could get much better information by providing more details, see:

Best
Erick