Is there some sort of threshold that I can tweak which sets how many letters
in non-matching words makes a result more or less relevant?

Searching on title, q=fantasy football, and I get this:

{"title":"The Fantasy Football Guys",
"score":2.8387074},
{"title":"Fantasy Football Bums",
"score":2.8387074},
{"title":"Fantasy Football Xtreme",
"score":2.7019854},
{"title":"Fantasy Football Fools",
"score":2.7019634},
{"title":"Fantasy Football Brothers",
"score":2.5917912}

(I have some other scoring things in there that account for the difference
between Xtreme and Fools.)

The behavior I'm noticing is that there is some threshold for the length of
non matching words that, when tripped, kicks the score down a notch.  4 to 5
seems to trip one, 6 to 7.

I would really like something like "Bums" to score the same as "Xtreme" and
"Brothers" and let my other criterion determine which document should come
out on top.  Is there something that can be tweaked to get this to happen?

Or is my assumption a bit off base?