From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:s...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:47 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: date boosting and dismax

  I've started a couple of previous threads on this topic, but I did not

have a good date field in my index to use at the time.  I now have a
schema with the document's post_date in tdate format, so I would like to

actually do some implementation.  Right now, we are not doing relevancy
ranking at all - we sort by descending post_date.  We have been working
on our application code so we can switch to dismax and use relevancy,
but it's still important to have a small bias towards newer content.

The idea is nothing this list hasn't heard before - to give newer
documents a slight relevancy boost.  An important sub-goal is to ensure
that the adjustment doesn't render Solr's caches useless.  I'm thinking
that this means that at a minimum, I need to round dates to a resolution

of 1 day, but if it's doable, 1 week might be even better.  I do like
the idea of having different boosts for different time ranges.

Can anyone give me a starting point on how to do this?  I will need
actual URL examples and dismax configuration snippets.

Thanks,
Shawn