Hi Chantal,

> However, with this approach indexing time went up from 20min to more
> than 5 hours.

This is 15x slower than the initial solution... wow.
>From MySQL I know that IN ()-clauses are the embodiment of endlessness -
they perform very, very badly.

New idea:
Create a method which returns the query-string:

returnString(theVIP)
{
       if ( theVIP != null || theVIP != "")
       {
               return "a query-string to find the vip"
       }
       else
       {
               return "SELECT 1" // you need to modify this, so that it
matches your field-definition
       }
}

The main-idea is to perform a blazing fast query, instead of a complex
IN-clause-query.
Does this sounds like a solution???

> The new approach is to query the solr index for that other database that
> I've already setup. This is only a bit slower than the original query
> (20min). (I'm using URLDataSource to be 1.4.1 conform.)

Unfortunately I can not follow you.
You are querying a solr-index for a database?

Kind regards,
- Mitch