Hi,

I'm a little confused about how the tuning params in solrconfig.xml actually
work.

My index currently has mergeFactor=25 and maxMergeDocs=2147483647.

So this means that up to 25 segments can be created before a merge happens,
and each segment can have up to 2bn docs in, right?

But this page:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-solr2/

says "Smaller values [of maxMergeDocs] (< 10,000) are best for applications
with a large number of updates." Our system does indeed have frequent
updates.

But if we set maxMergeDocs=10000, what happens when we reach 25 segments
with 10000 docs in each? Is the mergeFactor just ignored, so we start a new
segment anyway?

More generally, what would be reasonable params for a large index consisting
of many small docs, updated frequently?

I think a few different use-case examples like this would be a great
addition to the wiki.

Thanks!

Andrew.