Some questions:

a) What operating system?
b) What Java container (Tomcat/Jetty)
c) What JAVA_OPTIONS? I.e. memory, garbage collection etc.
d) Example queries? I.e. what features, how many facets, sort fields etc
e) How do you load balance queries between the slaves?
f) What is your search latency now and @ what QPS? Also, where do you measure
time - on the API or on the end-user page?
g) How often do you replicate?
h) Are you using warm-up-queries?
i) Are you ever optimizing your index?
j) Are you using highlighting? If so, are you using the fast vector highlighter
or the regex?
k) What other search components are you using?
i) Are you using RAID setup for the disks? If so, what kind of RAID, what
stripe-size and block size?

Have you benchmarked to see what the bottleneck is, i.e. what is taking the
most time? Try to add &debugQuery=true and share the <debug> section with us.
It includes timings for each component.

High latency could be caused by a number of different factors, and it is
important to first isolate the bottleneck.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com