On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Eric Grobler <impalah...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> There is a huge difference doing facet sorting on lex vs count
> The strange thing is that count sorting is fast when setting a small limit.
> I realize I can do sorting in the client, but I am just curious why this is.

There are a lot of optimizations to make things fast for the common
case - and setting a really high limit makes some of those
ineffective.  Hopefully you don't really need to return the top 5000
cities?
What version of Solr is this? What faceting method is used? Is this a
multi-valued field?  How many unique values are in the city field?
How many docs in the index?

-Yonik
http://lucenerevolution.org Lucene/Solr Conference, Boston Oct 7-8