my feeling is that private fields in a public document will be the hardest
nut to crack, unless you have an intermediary layer that users call instead
of hitting your solr instance directly. If you front it with a web service
you could handle various authorization scenarios a little easier.

Private documents, the inclusion of a user_id field is an acceptable way to
go IMO.

And individualized schema is actually probably the easiest thing to do. My
schema allows almost any type of document to be stored at the users
discretion, no schema changes on my part. Something like that, or slightly
modified version of that, would handle user defined schemas.