It says that the field "sum(1)" is not indexed. You don't have a field called 'sum(1)'. I know there has been a lot of changes in query parsing, and sorting by functions may be on the list. But the _val_ trick is the older one and, and you noted, still works. The _val_ trick sets the ranking value to the output of the function, thus indirectly doing what sort= does.

Lance

Scott K wrote:
I get the error on all functions.
GET 'http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=*:*&sort=sum(1)+asc'
Error 400 can not sort on unindexed field: sum(1)

I tried another nightly build from today, Sep 7th, with the same
results. I attached the schema.xml

Thanks for the help!
Scott