On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Ron Mayer <r...@0ape.com> wrote:
> My system which has documents being added pretty much
> continually seems pretty well behaved except, it seems,
> when large segments get merged.     During that time
> the system starts really dragging, and queries that took
> only a couple seconds are taking dozens.
You might wanna look at the MergePolicy since this is the part of Solr
/ Lucene taking care of the segment merges.
There is a recent contribution to the 3.x branch which could be very
interesting to you see:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/lucene/contrib/misc/src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/BalancedSegmentMergePolicy.java

you should also look at this post for frequent updates (Near Realtime)

http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/a17d63d8dcc1cb9d/tuning_solr_caches_with_high_commit_rates_nrt#adf9ee007ce18ba6

Simon