You could get it from Solr, yes. That didn't even occur to me because when I was designing my scripts, I didn't yet have a fully integrated Solr index. :) With hindsight, I still wouldn't get it from Solr. I would lose some flexibility and ease of administration.

It's certainly possible to store all build-related tracking information in the database. The build system for our old search product did it that way. I decided to go with simple text files in an NFS-mounted directory for the rewrite. It's easier for me to administer, just ssh to a server and examine or modify simple one-line text files. On the script side, the files get read into a Perl hash. With the old system, I found it cumbersome to go through the database interfaces. The only thing that's still in the database is the delete table, because it is populated by triggers on the metadata table.