Check
http://doc.ez.no/Extensions/eZ-Find/2.2/Advanced-Configuration/Using-multi-core-features

It's for eZ-Find, but it's the basic setup for multiple cores in any
environment.

We have cores designed like so:

solr/sfx/
solr/forum/
solr/mail/
solr/news/
solr/tracker/

each of those core directories has its own conf/ with schema.xml and
solrconfig.xml. then solr/solr.xml looks like:

  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores">
    <core name="sfx" instanceDir="sfx" />
    <core name="tracker" instanceDir="tracker" />

etc.

After that you add the core name into the url for all requests to the core:

http://..../solr/sfx/select?...
http://..../solr/sfx/update...
http://..../solr/tracker/select?...
http://..../solr/tracker/update...