You don't know what documents to bring up summaries for before you have merged
and sorted the docIds from all shards. And you don't want to waste resources by
fetching it all. Example:
Phase 1 request: q=foo bar&rows=10&sort=price
asc&shards=node1:8983,node2:8983,node3:8983
Phase 1 response: The doc-ids of the 10 lowest prices products from each of the
three shards (total 30)
Phase 2 request: Request the summaries based on IDs. This may be 3+3+4, 10+0+0,
1+1+8 or any other distribution
Phase 2 response: The actual summaries from each shard

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com