I would recommend looking at the work the HathiTrust has done.  They have
published some really great blog articles about the work they have done in
scaling Solr, and have put in huge amounts of data.

The good news is that there isn't a exact number, because "It depends".   The
bad news is that there isn't an exact number because "it depends"!

Eric

On Oct 13, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Marco (use solr-u...@lucene list to follow up, please),
>
> There are no precise answers to such questions.  Solr can keep indexing.  The
> limit is, I think, the available disk space.  I've never pushed Solr or
> Lucene
> to the point where Lucene index segments would become a serious pain, but
> even
> that can be controlled.  Same thing with number of open files, large file
> support, etc.
>
> Otis
> ----

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 |
http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search Server available from
http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server
Free/Busy: http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal