Hi Peter!

* I believe the NRT patches are included in the 4.x trunk. I don't
think there's any support as yet in 3x (uses features in Lucene 3.0).

I'll investage how much effort it is to update to solr4

* For merging, I'm talking about commits/writes. If you merge while
commits are going on, things can get a bit messy (maybe on source
cores this is ok, but I have a feeling it's not).

ok

* For moving data to a an 'offline' read-only core, this is the trickiest bit.
We do this today by using a round-robin chain of remote shards and 2
local cores. At the boundary time (e.g. 1 day), the 'active' core is
replicated locally, then this local replica is replicated to the next
shard in the chain. Once everything is complete, the local replica is
discarded, and the 'active' core is cleaned, being careful not to
delete any new data since the replicated commit point.

Maybe I didn't fully understood what you explained: but doesn't this mean that you'll have one index per day? Or are you overwriting, via replicating, every shard and the number of shard is fixed? And why are you replicating from the local replica to the next shard? (why not directly from active to next shard?)

Regards,
Peter.