Sounds good, especially because your old scenario was fragile. The doc IDs
in
your first core could change as a result of a single doc deletion and
optimize. So
the doc IDs stored in the second core would then be wrong...

Your user-defined unique key is definitely a better way to go. There are
some tricks
you could try if there are performance issues....

Best
Erick