Paolo Castagna wrote:
Hi,
we are using Solr v1.4.x with multi-cores and a master/slaves configuration.
We also use HAProxy [1] to load balance search requests amongst slaves.
Finally, we use MapReduce to create new Solr indexes.

I'd like to share with you what I am doing when I need to:

 1. add a new index
 2. replace an existing index with an new/updated one
 3. add a slave
 4. remove a slave (or a slave died)

I am interested in knowing what are the best practices in these scenarios.

[...]

Does all this seems sensible to you?

Do you have best practices, suggestions to share?

Well, maybe these are two too broad questions...

I have a very specific one, related to all this.

Let's say I have a Solr master with multi-cores and I want to add a new
slave. Can I tell the slave to replicate all the indexes for the master?
How?

Any comment/advice regarding my original message are still more than
welcome.

Thank you,
Paolo