You're adding on the order of 750 rows (docs)/second, which isn't bad...

have you profiled the machine as this runs? Even just with top (assuming
unix)...
because the very first question is always "what takes the time, getting
the data from MySQL or indexing or I/O?".

If you aren't maxing out your CPU, then you probably want to explore the
other
questions (db query speed, network latency) to get a sense whether you're
going as fast as you can or not...

Best
Erick