During data import can you update a record with min and max fields, these
would be equal in the case of a single non range value.

I know this is not a solr solution but a data pre-processing one but would
work?

Failing the above i've saw in the docs reference to a compound value field
(in the context of points, ie point = lat , lon which would be a nice way to
store your range fields anthough i still think you will need to pre-process
your data.

cheers lee