As Tanguy says, simply re-adding a document with the same
<uniqueKey> will automatically delete/readd the doc.

But I wanted to add a caution about your phrase "read-delete-modify-create"
You only get back what you #stored#. So generally the update is done
from the original source rather than the index.

So it's simple if <uniqueKey> is there, just add the doc.

Best
Erick