Oops! Sorry, I thought shard and core were one in the same and the terms could be used interchangeably - I've got a multicore setup which I'm able to search across by using the shards parameter. I think you're right, that *is* the question I was asking.

Thanks for letting me know it's not supported yet. I guess the easiest thing for me to do right now is to add another field in each document saying which core it was inserted into.

Thanks again
Mark