From: Peter Karich [peat...@yahoo.de]
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:10 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: solr equiv of : SELECT count(distinct(field)) FROM index WHERE
length(field) > 0 AND other_criteria

 facets=true&facet.field=field // SELECT count(distinct(field))
&fq=field:[* TO *]  // WHERE length(field) > 0
&q=other_criteriaA&fq=other_criteriaB// AND other_criteria

advantage: you can look into several fields at one time when adding
another facet.field
disadvantage: you get the counts splitted by the values of that field

fix this via field collapsing / results grouping
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldCollapsing
or use deduplication: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Deduplication

Regards,
Peter.