PositionIncrementGap for multiValued fields is, perhaps, the most
interesting
difference. One of the drivers here is, say, indexing across some boundary
that you don't want phrases or near clauses to match. For instance, say you
have text with
sentences, and your requirement is that phrases don't match across sentence
boundaries. One way to handle that is to add successive sentences to a
multivalued
field and define that field with a large increment gap.

But otherwise, as far as I know, there's no difference worth mentioning
between
indexing a bunch of stuff as one long string or breaking it up into multiple
segments in a multivalued field with the increment gap set to 1, except for
edge cases like the sorting thing Geert-Jan mentions....

Best
Erick