On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hmm, i think you are actually running out of virtual address space,
> even on 64-bit!

I don't know if there are any x86 processors that allow 64 bits of
address space yet.
AFAIK, they are mostly 48 bit.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=VS.85).aspx#memory_limits
>
> Apparently windows limits you to 8TB virtual address space
> (ridiculous), so i think you should try one of the following:
> * continue using mmap directory, but specify MMapDirectoryFactory
> yourself, and specify the maxChunkSize parameter. The default
> maxChunkSize is Integer.MAX_VALUE, but with a smaller one you might be
> able to work around fragmentation problems.

Hmmm, maybe we should default to a smaller value?  Perhaps something
like 1G wouldn't impact performance, but could help avoid OOM due to
fragmentation?

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com