I was unable to get it to compile. From the author, got one reply about the
benefits of the compiled  version. After submitting my errors to him, have not
yet received a reply.

##Weird thing 'on the way to the forum' today.##

I remember reading an article a couple of days ago which said the compiled
version is 10-15% faster than the 'pure PHP' Solr library out there, (and it
has
a lot more capability,that's for sure!)

Turns out, this slower pure PHP version uses 'file_get_contents()'(FCG) to do
the actual query of the Solr Instance.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/555523/file-get-contents-vs-curl-what-has-better-performance

The article above shows that FCG is on average 22% slower than using cURL in
basic usage. so modifying the 'pure PHP' library with cURL would make up for
all
of the speed that the compiled SolrPHP has.

 Dennis Gearon