I think Steve wants the 1000th, 2000th and 3000th document from the query. And
since there's no method of doing so you're constrained to executing three
queries with rows=1 and start is resp. 1000, 2000 and 3000.

If you want these documents to return you will have to do multiple queries
with different start and limit=1 parameters.