Steve,

and what exactly do you expect? You can work on the Group itself with
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldCollapsing#Request_Parameters in a limited
way, but of course it's "just" a normal Solr-Result, group by some Values,
nothing really special.

"Can't be referenced in the query" - what do you want to do there?

Regards
Stefan