Let's back up a moment and ask why you are doing this from scripts,
because this feels like an XY problem, see:
http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem
<http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem>
What are you trying to accomplish by swapping cores on the master
and slave?

Solr 1.4 has configuration-based replication, are you using 1.4? This
version of Solr automatically, upon replication, switches to the updated

You can trigger a replication either by configuring the polling interval on
the
slave or by sending the proper HTTP request to the slave. See:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication#HTTP_API

So, it seems like taking charge of swapping cores may be more work
than you really need to do.

Of course, if you're on a different version of Solr, this is irrelevant.

Best
Erick