Dear Solr experts,

Could you recommend some strategies or perhaps tell me if I approach
my problem from a wrong side? I was hoping to use MultiSearcher to
search across multiple indexes in Solr, but there is no such a thing
and MultiSearcher was removed according to this post:
http://osdir.com/ml/solr-user.lucene.apache.org/2011-01/msg00250.html

I though I had two use cases:

1. maintenance - I wanted to build two separate indexes, one for
fulltext and one for metadata (the docs have the unique ids) -
indexing them separately would make things much simpler
2. ability to switch indexes at search time (ie. for testing purposes
- one fulltext index could be built by Solr standard mechanism, the
other by a rather different process - independent instance of lucene)

I think the recommended approach is to use the Distributed search - I
found a nice solution here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2139030/search-multiple-solr-cores-and-return-one-result-set
- however it seems to me, that data are sent over HTTP (5M from one
core, and 5M from the other core being merged by the 3rd solr core?)
and I would like to do it only for local indexes and without the
network overhead.

Could you please shed some light if there already exist an optimal
solution to my use cases? And if not, whether I could just try to
build a new SolrQuerySearcher that is extending lucene MultiSearcher
instead of IndexSearch - or you think there are some deeply rooted
problems there and the MultiSearch-er cannot work inside Solr?

Thank you,

  Roman