Hi Paul,
me and a colleague worked on a QParserPlugin to "expand" alias field names
to many existing field names
ex: q=mockfield:val ==> q=actualfield1:val OR actualfield2:val
but if you want to be able to use other params that come from the HTTP
request you should use a custom RequestHandler I think,
My 2 cents,
Tommaso