I'm trying to use
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRelevancyFAQ#How_can_I_boost_the_score_of_newer_documents
as
a bf parameter to my dismax handler.  The problem is, the value of NOW can
cause documents in a similar range (date value within a few seconds of each
other) to sometimes round to be equal, and sometimes not, changing their
sort order (when equal, falling back to a secondary sort).  This, in turn,
screws up paging.

The problem is that score is rounded to a lower level of precision than what
the suggested formula produces as a difference between two values within
seconds of each other.  It seems to me if I could round the value to minutes
or hours, where the difference will be large enough to not be rounded-out,
then I wouldn't have problems with order changing on me.  But it's not legal
syntax to specify something like:
recip(ms(NOW,manufacturedate_dt/HOUR),3.16e-11,1,1)

Is this a problem anyone has faced and solved?  Anyone have suggested
solutions, other than indexing a copy of the date field that's rounded to
the hour?

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com