Since my users wanted to have a partial search functionality I had to
introduce following. I have declared two EdgeNGram filters with both side
"back" and "front" since they wanted to have partial search working from any
side.

<fieldType name="edgytext" class="solr.TextField">
 <analyzer>
  <filter class="solr.EdgeNGramFilterFactory"
minGramSize="1"maxGramSize="25" side="back"/>
  <filter class="solr.EdgeNGramFilterFactory"
minGramSize="1"maxGramSize="25" side="front"/>
 </analyzer>
</fieldType>

When executing search (which brings back 4K plus records from the index)
response time extremely slow.

The two db columns which I index and search against are huge and where one
of the db columns is of type CLOB. This is to give you an idea that this db
column of type CLOB is being indexed with "edgyText" and also searched upon.
>From documentation I understand partial search behaves slow due to "gram"
nature. what's the best way to implement this functionality and still get
good response time?