Okay, I did manage to find a clue from the log that it's not working, when it's not working:

INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/66  config=null

config=null, that's not right. When I try to over-ride the config file name in solr.xml core config, I can't seem to put a name in there that works to find a file that does actually exist. Unless I put the name "solrconfig.xml" in there, then it works fine, heh.