After About 4-5 hours the merge completed (ran out of heap)..as you
suggested..it was having memory issues..

Read queries during the merge were working just fine (they were taking
longer then normal ~30-60seconds).

I think I need to do more reading on understanding the merge/optimization
processes.

I am beginning to think what I need to do is have lots of segments? (i.e.
frequent merges..of smaller sized segments, wouldn't that speed up the
merging process when it actually runs?).

A couple things I'm trying to wrap my ahead around:

Increasing the segments will improve indexing speed on the whole.
The question I have is: when it needs to actually perform a merge: will
having more segments be better  (i.e. make the merge process faster)? or
longer? ..having a 4 hour merge aka (indexing request) is not really
acceptable (unless I can control when that merge happens).

We are using our Solr server differently then most: Frequent Inserts (in
batches), with few Reads.

I would say having a 'long' query time is acceptable (say ~60 seconds).